Saturday, August 14, 2010

Agrarian calendar

School begins next week for teachers. Well, for me, anyway.
I've had a nice break. Two long out-of-town vacations and time for a four-week, intensive workshop with teachers.
Lots of time off.
Yesterday it felt like it was way too much time off, especially when I ran into a student and asked him what he was reading.
"Nothin'. I don't read."
The agrarian calendar has outlived its usefulness. It seems that the world is runs at 3 times the speed of my youth, with accelerated, instantaneous, 24-hour communication.
We can't afford to leave our kids unchallenged, unsupervised, uneducated for two-and-a-half months. Everybody else is getting their hooks into them: television, twitter, Facebook, and hours of dulling sleep on the couch.
Even the manager at a part-time job is having more influence than we are.
Time for some real reform:
A year round calendar.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I wish people would realize this very same point and stop the "tradition." Sometimes change is necessary.

    ReplyDelete